Cultural Travel and Culture Shock

Wanderlust; a strong desire to travel.

If you’re reading this, you’re someone who wants to travel and indulge in the different cultures and wonders of this grand world we live in. I can relate. Cultural travel has always been an interest of mine. The idea of immersing myself in a culture so different from my own is both scary and beautiful at the same time.

Obviously, there is no right or wrong way to see a new country, it’s all about preference.  For some, experiences abroad are all about packing in as much as you can within the length of your trip; being the ultimate tourist, going through a list of sites and checking off as many boxes along the way. For others, it’s all about taking your time, doing less but but more enriching things, getting more in touch with the locals.

Personally, I like to experience new countries the local way. By doing so, I feel like I get a better sense of my new environment. However, it can be hard to do because in reality, you’re not a local, you’re a tourist looking from the outside in. This article by Jonathon Engels lists the various ways you can authentically experience culture when travelling to get the most out of your trip. I really like his ideas and will definitely bookmark this for my next adventure!

One more thing I want to touch on is culture shock.

When travelling abroad to new countries, it’s very common to experience culture shock. All of a sudden you’re in an unfamiliar place with a different language and a different lifestyle. You kind of feel disoriented. Let me tell you, culture shock is a good thing! Dylan Muñoz of Verge magazine outlines 5 reasons why this is true! The best way to deal with it is to embrace it. For me, though it’s daunting, leaving my comfort zone is such a liberating experience and it helps me grow as a person. I mean, can you really call it cultural travel without a bit of culture shock?!

Having trouble with the links? Find both articles here.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/travel/articles/10-ways-travel-abroad-experience-culture.shtml

http://www.vergemagazine.com/work-abroad/blogs/980-5-reasons-why-experiencing-culture-shock-is-good-for-you.html

Hope this helped, happy travelling!