The preparation before studying in Australia 留学澳洲前的准备工作

the_graduates

Hi, every pre-international student, I know you all feel exciting when you decide upon the journey of Australia.But before we abroad, there are couple preparations that we need to consider.

Some of you may have some doubt in your mind, such as what kinds of things that I need to bring to Australia? How can I apply for bank card? Do I need book pick-up service? No need to worry,  as a current international student, I will give you some strategy tips for your preparations.

First, let me offer you a Task List before you leaving home:

1. Check your passport and make sure that the expirimagesy date is covered all the time of semesters.

2. Get your student Visa and make sure is Higher Educational Sector(which is 573 visa).

3. Check you CoE and confirm the start dates of your unit.

4. Confirm with your bank in China about how to remit money to Australia.

5. Making brief arrangements. Such as checking flight number and booking, make an appointment for pick-up service; make sure arrange an accommodation at least first week (Ps:  Homestay is a good option, it will help you reverse culture shock in the first step).

6. Better prepare an envelope or folders and put all the credentials and files that you need in the envelope, such as Passport; Visa; Offer; CoE; the receipt of tuition fee, OSHC; ID card, etc.

Tips: Remember put the envelope in place that you are easy to find (You definitely don’t want to know how awful that I need to dig into the bottom of my bag for grab this envelope when airport staff asking for check).

api-study-abroad-australia-sydney-770x300-1454557836

This Task List only gave you a brief guide how you prepared in the first step, and now I will combining with my own experience and some common problem which you need to know.

Q1: Do I need to carry some cash?6ae6e61df9135696a68f6ff04531d590

A1:  Yes, carry enough cash for your arrangements when you just arrived in Australia. In my experience, probably 1500~5000AUD. Remember, if you carry more than 10,000AUD,  and you need to declare for the customs when you entered Australia.

Q2: How can I apply bank account?

A2:  There are lots of bank in Australia, such as CommonWealth, ANZ ,Westpac. The fees and service basically have no big difference between those banks, they all provided online banking service which is easy for you to remit money from China. Since it is no big difference, my suggestion is that after you aboard, find the bank that the nearest to your home or campus, it will be very convenient for you to perform the transaction. Remember, the bank transfer may take 2~4 days, the bill of exchange may require longer processing times, so as fast as you can to apply bank account if you desperately need to remit money.

Ps: Remember to bring your passport, student visa, and CoE to the bank, you will need.

Accommodation-shutterstock

Q3: What kind of the accommodation is better for me?

A3: Well, it depends on the individual. First, you need to think about do you want to live on or off the campus? Living in students dormitory or private accommodation?  Sharing the house or living alone?

The benefit of living on campus or students dormitory is that it will save you lots of time on the way between home and school every day, which means you will have more time and focus on your academic study. Students dormitory is giving you an opportunity to meet different people, and it also provided meals. However, the disadvantage of living on campus or students dormitory is the cost of rent is high.

If you want to live in a sharing house, the rent will be cheaper(the price will be the different demand on location), but make sure you find a reliable housing agency and wildly chose your roommate.

Q4: How many kilos of free baggage allowance each person?baggage-art-2

A4: Generally it will be two free baggage for 23Kg and 7Kg carry-on baggage (please check with your airline). I know some of you may corner about too many things you need to bring and want more free baggage allowance, and there is a tip for you. Before you book your ticket, show your CoE to the airline, and you may get one more free baggage allowance.

Tips: For my experience, China Southern Airlines and Singapore Airlines provide this benefit for the international student, others please check with your airlines.

Q5: What kinds of things that I need to notice when I pack my baggage? 

A5:  First, Australian Customs has a series of strict rules for entry persons carrying the articles to Australian. So keep in mind, the following items should not pack with your baggage:

“Any Food(including  dried, fresh, preserved, cooked, uncooked);

Wooden articles, plants; parts of plants, traditional medicines or herbs, seeds, bulbs

Animals, Animal product”        photo1

I know some of you really miss the Chinese food, most of the product can be found in the supermarket, so no need to take risks. If you carry those items accidentally, remember to declare for the customs. On the plane, the flight attendants will give you an incoming passage card and fill honestly.

Tips: For those first arrived Australia and not familiar with the format or content of this card, you can search the word of “incoming passage card(入境申请表)” online, it will be a full form for you to know well.

Second, make sure you pack your own bag instead of your parents, friends or others. (One of my friend was asking for checking by customs because of her mom put a fresh apple in her bag secretly, lol. Ps: Apple stand for safeness in Chinese culture.)

Q6:  What kinds of things that I need to bring to Australia?

A6: Well, it really depends on different person, so I asked some of our current international students, here is their Top 5 “must carry items” that they recommended.

Top5

1. Stationery, including Drawing Tools and material2. Phone shell3. Summer clothing4. Rice cooker5. Digital Products’

Now I’m sure you have a preliminary idea of how to do the preparation for your studying in Australia. If you have further question or suggestion, please contact us without hesitate. pandadownunder@gmail.com

6 thoughts on “The preparation before studying in Australia 留学澳洲前的准备工作

1. Hey Beini,
    If I were a Chinese student planning on studying in Australia I would find this article really helpful. It is easy to read and insightful into the common questions I would have when travelling to Australia. By separating it into questions, you allowed me to think about the questions I would personally have if I were in this situation. The focus on serious and practical things is great, and would be a great basic resource for international students pre travel, with everything in one spot. I really loved the infographic at the end, which added something different. By talking to different people it was interesting to see what their top 5 picks were – and if in this situation I would definitely focus in on it. Hearing what people need first hand would be very beneficial if I were travelling to Australia for the first time. The overall blog is a great idea, and I would visit is frequently to gain new tips and tricks for life in Australia. Thanks again!

2. If I was an international student who plans to study in Australia, I would love to get as much information about living and studying in Australia as possible. This article has answered some of the most basic yet significant questions, such as bank account, accommodation, luggage etc. The answers are very detailed and practical, sometimes along with the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

If I was new to Australia, I would find this article very informative. But if I have been in Australia for a while, I would like to see more questions and answers included in the article. Some small yet essential things would be the introduction of SmartRider as well as how to travel by bus and train in Australia (a huge problem for newcomers). Another thing would be the introduction of supermarkets like Woolworth or Coles, places that provide the basic food supply, or suggestions about how to find something to eat for the first several days in Australia.

To conclude, this is a very useful article but if there is a follow-up article or some more links to cover as many questions as possible, it will be even more complete.

3. If I were a pre-international student who would be leaving for Australia in a few days, this article will be incredibly useful for me. Basically it covers every aspect of what should be prepared beforehand and what the new comers should do as soon as they arrive Australia. The Q&A part is pretty open-and-shut, which makes the reader easy to look for information, and it is practical as well, for these are questions that almost every students would ask before they make a move or when they just arrive.
    The part of “Top 5 Must Carry Items” quite resonates me. The rice cooker and phone shell appear with high frequency according to the survey, which helps people to get good ideas of what must be taken. If I were a Chinese student who is planning to go to Australia, I would refer to this list and get what they recommended.
    And here are some suggestions about luggage: I remember that some of the dry foods such as Chinese tea or dried mushroom can be put in the check-in luggage and sent to Australia. I brought several packs of Chinese tea when I came here and the customs officer just let me go. ☺

4. Hi!

I really like this article. My first impression is that it is inviting to read given its format and not too overwhelming, including a Chinese student considering studying in Australia or is actually about to embark on their own journey. The article also itself is very well targeted in terms of its understanding of a common google search that someone from your target audience may make.

It’s easy to read and straight to the point in regards to the most essential information that which may be forgotten about or there may not be alot of other similarly presented resources on. The Q and A which mixes legal (VISA), practical (things to park) and other information such as accomodation is an informative mix.I also like how you provide an contact email adress for any one who wants to know more which makes the help although genuine, appear even more so. The top 5 picks for some different people so it makes it more diverse and personable and is a really nice touch. In sum, if I was a Chinese student planning my trip I would be very likely to bookmark this page and keep going back to it as a progress in my journey.

5. Hey Beini,
    How are you doing?
    As an International student myself, I wished this article existed when I was preparing to study in Australia as it’s both informative and useful! I feel like this article will not only the International students but will also help family members that are coming with them.
    You break the article down into FAQs which I think is good and are the exact questions that we International students thought about at some point! There is a good balance of information and graphics as well so you kept me engaged.
    I personally like the added touch of the ‘Top 5 Must Carry Items’! I’m an Indonesian International student but what I have in common with the Chinese International students is that rice cooker is a necessity! It is a must have! Well, after my smartphone of course! 😀 😉
    But again what a good article, I would definitely bookmark this article for more information. Good job 😀