[Disclaimer: We have recently experienced cases of UWA students submitting articles with subtle advertisements and spam.This is a student-submitted article that has not been censored or edited. If you find any spam, advertising, or offensive content within this article or the comments section, please email us and we will remove the article if necessary. Thank you.]
The world wide web is bustling with a sea of information and resources. But there are also restrictions. Almost every college and university network blocks access to certain content if it deems it to be disruptive for students. On the other hand, some countries exercise strict constraints on their contents and do not allow users from other nations to view them. This is where VPN facilities comes in handy, and can help UWA undergrads. VPN software hides your IP address so that you can easily access and enjoy the restricted contents on the web. As per reports, VPN usage is skyrocketing in Australia and a major niche of VPN users are students. The best part is that free VPN services are on the rise, making things further convenient and economical for everyone.
Let’s see how free VPN facilities help students:
This is the obvious benefit free VPN services. Students are always struggling for pocket-money every month. In such a situation, signing up with a VPN service is more a necessary extra. But free VPN providers have proved some of the best stuff in the world still doesn’t cost a thing.
Unrestrained access to restricted contents
What if you urgently need a news report on the Chinese industrial sector for your research and you are unable to access it given the virtual geo-restrictions? China is one of those countries that do not provide easy access to its news and websites to foreign browsers. Free VPN service is your lifesaver here. As mentioned earlier, VPN software installed in your computer or laptop will ensure your IP address is never disclosed. This way you will have the gateway to whichever web content you want, regardless of geo-restrictions.
VPN facilities also open your doors to all those amazing series and movies that are under Netflix’s geo-restrictions.
Better safety online
This is one of the most important benefits of VPN services. Students are always on the lookout for free Wi-Fi hotspots to save money. But your university and local café hotspots are used by thousands of others. You never know what they are doing online and what their intentions are. In fact, these free internet gateways are often a playground for identity theft. But VPN users are always secure from such nuisances. VPN software camouflage a user’s actual IP address, encrypt their data & protect them from identity theft.
No issues with blocked file sharing
College or University networks sometimes block file-sharing activities for students. That’s a huge challenge, especially when you are working on a major group project and have to share files among your friends. But VPN services take care of such issues, making things smoother for your group project.
How to choose a free VPN service provider
- First, get a shortlist of the 4-5 potential free VPN service providers online. You must get a comparative study on them before you choose your VPN service provider. Check their market reputation and also what previous users say about them. Focus on the one with highest market reputation and the longest list of happy users.
- Second, check the number and location of its servers. Ask the company how many countries it covers. There is no point in taking to a VPN service if it does not provide access to a restricted content that you need for your paper.
- Your chosen company should also promise complete virtual privacy for its users. Make sure it guarantees a no-tracking policy of user’s web activities. Not all free VPN providers practice such discretion.
- The VPN provider must allow you to choose from several VPN protocols as per your specific protection needs.
- Finally, the VPN company should ensure easy compatibility will all major browsing devices and operating systems.